CHIPPEWAS OF NAWASH UNCEDED FIRST NATION BOARD OF EDUCATION
Post Secondary Coordinator
Secondary Student Services Coordinator
Vanessa M. Keeshig
Kikendaasogamig Elementary School Principal
Bill Tichenoff – Principal
Language Nest Program
Polly Keeshig-Tobias – Coordinator
- Elementary Routes 1 & 2
– Secondary routes 3 & 4
Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Board of Education
6 Harbour Road
Regular Office Hours
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The Board of Education is open during regular business hours, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday.
COVID-19 Safety Measures are in effect. Please review the new protocols below:
- Staff are available to assist the public by telephone or email. In-person meetings are by appointment ONLY. If you must visit the office, please call ahead to advise the staff.
- Face masks must be worn when entering the building (if you do not have a face mask, please ask our staff and one will be provided). A hand sanitizing station is available at the front entrance and must be used when entering and departing from the building.
- Please keep a safe physical distance of 2 meters (6 feet) from one another.
Our mission is to foster a nurturing and supportive learning environment that inspires dedication to lifelong learning, Anishinaabemowin and the values of mino bimaadiziwin.
Building Anishinabek Success…Voices For Today and Tomorrow.
Values: 7 Grandfather Teachings
- Giiyaakwaadziwin – Honesty.
- Dbaandendizwin – Humility.
- Mshkode’ewin – Bravery.
- Nbwaakaawin – Wisdom.
- Minwaadendamowin – Respect.
- Debwewin – Truth.
- Zaagidwin – Love.
OverviewThe Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Board of Education (CNUFNBOE) was formed in December 1993 when Chief and Council transferred educational governance and administration of education programs and services to an elected board of Trustees. The original decision was ratified by a council resolution and is periodically confirmed by a Terms of Reference between council and the board. CNUFNBOE programs and services include:
- Elementary (Kikendaasogamig Elementary School)
- Secondary (Secondary Student Support Services)
- Post Secondary (Nawash Post Secondary Assistance Program)
- Day Care (Nshiime Child and Family Centre)
- Language Nest Program
- Nawash Education Diversity Assistance Program
- Education, Language and Culture
Board of Education – Elected Board of Trustees for the 2019 - 2021 Term
Councillor Liaison: Arlene Chegahno
Alternate Councillor Liaison: Solomon King
|1. Nshiime Day Care||Chanice Johnston & Amy Nadjiwon-Tobey|
|2. Adult Learning Centre||Carlene Keeshig, Marleen Vogl & Amy Nadjiwon-Tobey|
|3. Elementary Student Services||Marleen Vogl & Anthony Pedoniquotte|
|4. Secondary Student Services||Amy Nadjiwon-Tobey & Marleen Vogl|
|5. Post Secondary Services||Anthony Pedoniquotte & Carlene Keeshig|
|6. Leadership & Administration||Chairperson & Entire Board|
Portfolio’s 1-5 incorporate: Culture, Language & Arts; Curriculum & Program Development; Student & Staff Success; Community Engagement; Policy Review & Development.
Board of Education Meetings
Board Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month, from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM. Special Board Meetings are held as needed. Attendees are encouraged to attend Board meetings via teleconference or Zoom (online), in order to practice safe physical distancing. Please inform our office if you have a Band Member Request by submitting a letter one week prior to a scheduled Board Meeting.
Band Member Requests
Band member requests are encouraged. For efficiency, please submit all requests in writing.
The next Call for Applications for the Nawash Education Diversity Assistance Program (NEDAP) will be: March 15-April 15; July 15-August 15; and November 15-December 15.
Note: Application submissions will be accepted at 12:00 AM on the first day of an application period, until 11:59 PM on the last day of that application period.