Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Education, Language and Culture Partnership
Education, language and cultural programming are seen as supportive to the overall success, health and well-being of the members of the Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation. The Education, Language and Culture (ELC) Partnership was developed following the recommendations from our Community Comprehensive Plan (CCP, 2015).
The ELC Partners have been working together since 2016 and consists of the following programs and services: the Chippewas of Nawash Board of Education, Language Nest, Kikendaasogamig Elementary School, Nshiime Daycare, Adult Learning Centre, Youth Mental Health and Wellness, Councillor Liaison for Education as well as Elder and Youth representatives.
The ELC strategic plan was completed and presented to the community in July 2018. Click here to access an info sheet that was distributed to the community.
The goals of the ELC strategic plan are as follows:
- Increase coordination among programs and services in the life-long learning continuum.
- Sustain and strengthen culture and language through community-developed curriculum and immersion programs.
- Acquire appropriate services for students with special needs (physical, educational, emotional, gifted).
- Employ Indigenous teachers, preferably community members, at the school. Provide developmental opportunities for teachers to learn the Anishnaabe worldview.
- Increase the success of the secondary and post-secondary students to a level equivalent to or exceeding that of the non-Aboriginal population while fostering a strong Anishnaabe identity.
- Provide learning opportunities for all stages of the lifelong learning continuum.
- Provide awareness to community members living outside Nawash about what is going on in the community regarding the ELC strategic plan