Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Reopening Plan

April 7, 2022:

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEYAASHIINIGMIING

Attention all Residents:
Recently we have seen an increased number of COVID-19 cases within Neyaashiinigmiing and across the province.
Although we are not changing the current prevention measures on the reserve at this time, we do recommend individuals wear masks in indoor public settings.
We ask everyone to please consider your risk of exposure to COVID-19 and how this risk affects others.

 


 

March 22, 2022

ANNOUNCEMENT:
As of March 21st, 2022 – Chief and Council in Neyaashiinigmiing have:

  • Lifted all indoor and outdoor gathering limitations and restrictions.
  • Reopened Band Buildings to the public. All entering are subject to a COVID-19 Self-Screening Assessment. Face masks are required for entry points and for occasions where 2 meter distancing cannot be maintained.

ALERT UPDATE:
The State of Emergency for Neyaashiinigmiing has been extended until April 30th, 2022.
There continues to be an active* COVID-19 outbreak in Neyaashiinigmiing. *An active outbreak will be considered ended when a period of 14 days has elapsed where there are no new or active cases confirmed among Neyaashiinigmiing residents or staff.

 


 

March 17, 2022

As of March 14, 2022, Public Health Grey Bruce is no longer publishing their COVID-19 situation reports which contained regional information about COVID-19 cases.

 


 

 

March 4, 2022

Although Ontario has lifted more public health measures as of March 1, 2022, Neyaashiinigmiing will continue to err on the side of caution. We will keep with the Feb 10th public health measures we communicated with Nawash until further notice. Our community still has an active outbreak. An active outbreak will be considered ended when a period of 14 days has elapsed where there are no new or active cases confirmed among Neyaashiinigmiing residents or staff.

Scroll below to read the Public Health Measures we are following  at Neyaashiinigmiing or click here to read more: Nawash's Public Health Measures - Feb 10.

 


 

 

 

February 10, 2022

Updated Public Health Measures for Neyaashiinigmiing

The beginning of January 2022, Neyaashiinigmiing saw additional public health measures implemented to help reduce the transmission of the highly contagious Omicron variant in our community.

Recently, the data and health trends within Ontario and Grey-Bruce County has shown that key public health, and health system indicators are starting to stabilize. Chief & Council has just announced that several public health measures will be lifted in Neyaashiinigmiing. This closely coincides with Ontario’s recent changes.

The updates below are not intended to be an exhaustive list.

January 31st, 2022

As of January 31st, 2022, Ontario started following a cautious and phased approach to lifting public health measures with 21 days between each stepAt Neyaashiinigmiing, we will be following the provincial guidelines.

 Learn more about how Ontario is planning to safely and gradually reopen.


 

January 5th, 2022

Ontario has now moved into a modified Step 2 of the Roadmap to Reopen.

We will update Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Reopening Plan for 2022 when we have more information.


 

Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation Reopening Plan

2021 Reopening Plan

May 2021

 

The goal is to reopen the First Nation to business, leisure, and social functions safely.  The factors considered when making decisions on re-opening were:

  • Epidemiology -  Grey Bruce’s COVID-19 infection and vaccination rates and are currently very favourable and even more favourable  in CNUFN;
  • Health Care System Capacity – is favourable for contact tracing and hospitals with ICU beds (many in ICU have been transferred in from other regions);
  • Consistency – whether we can re-open safely and in a manner that is consistent with adjoining counties, regions and the province, manages the expectations of citizens, promotes a sense of fairness, and aids compliance by making it easy for our members to understand what is expected from them.

The Reopening Plan will be communicated broadly to the Community.

  1. Staff – The Provincial ‘Stay at Home Order’ ended on Wednesday June 2, 2021. CNUFN staff are returning to work on Monday June 7, 2021. The pandemic is not over. Staff will continue following all COVID-19 protocols including frequent hand washing, masking, maintaining social distancing.
  1. Visitors – Visitors will again be permitted on the Reserve starting on June 14, 2021. This is consistent with Step 1 of Ontario’s reopening plan, and is based on 60% of Ontario’s adults having received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and provided public health indicators are, or remain, positive, such as hospitalization, ICU occupancy and new admissions and case rates. After June 14, 2021, we will continue to follow all COVID-19 protocols including frequent hand washing, masking, maintaining social distancing.
  1. Businesses – Businesses are to comply with the COVID-19 protocols and may refuse entry or service to a person not wearing a mask. 
  1. Cape Croker Park – The Park will open to Seasonal Campers starting on June 14, 2021, with the Cape Croker Park following its 2021 Reopening Plan and applying the COVID-19 restrictions and the Camper’s Code of Conduct.
  1. Recreational Cottage Lease Lots – Lessees/locates will be allowed to access their cottages starting on June 14, 2021, as per the 2021 Plan for Reopening Recreational Leasing (Cottage) Areas.
  1. North Entrance/Sidney Bay Road – The north entrance at the intersection of Boundary Road and Sydney Bay Road will open as of June 14, 2021.
  1. Monitor Station – The monitor station will be closed as of June 14, 2021. While the speed bumps, signs and physical barriers will be removed, the station itself will remain in place.
  1. State of Emergency – The State of Emergency at CNUFN will continue until at least July 26, 2021.  Should circumstances change such that they again pose a risk to the health and safety of the First Nation, the re-opening may be suspended or retracted.  However, if public health indicators continue to be positive, such as hospitalization, ICU occupancy, new admissions and case rates, Council shall consider further steps towards a safe re-opening of our First Nation as and when circumstances change.  For example, when Ontario decides to move to subsequent steps of its reopening plan, we will review our situation at that time and decide if we can also further reopen in a safe manner.

 All are asked to continue to follow all COVID-19 protocols including frequent hand washing, masking, maintaining social distancing.