Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nations Newsletter
Community Updates | December 22, 2021
COMMUNITY STATE OF EMERGENCY:
Neyaashiinigmiing remains in a Community State of Emergency. The Omicron variant is present in Grey-Bruce.
We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation in our community and surrounding area closely. If the cases inside our community and outside increase substantially, we will implement additional precautionary measures including, Contact Tracing Monitors at the community entrances. This may include closure of the Sydney Bay Road entrance.
URGENT UPDATES & REMINDERS FOR OUR COMMUNITY:
- On Fri. Dec 17th, there was one confirmed case of COVID-19 at Neyaashiinigmiing. All high-risk contacts have been tested and to date all tests have come back negative.
- Neyaashiinigmiing is CLOSED to non-members and non-residents, with the exception of Delivery Vehicles, Essential Inspections, Maintenance and Repair Companies, Canada Post, HydroOne, Bell Canada, GB Tel and non-Resident Essential Employees.
- Neyaashiinigmiing is NOT CLOSED to off-reserve members.
- We remind the community to limit all non-essential travel to and from Neyaashiinigmiing.
- Limit all unnecessary contacts.
- IMPORTANT CHANGE:
- Indoor gatherings are now restricted to 10 individuals.
- Outdoor gatherings are restricted to 25.
- If you haven’t already done so, please get vaccinated.
- All Ontarians 18+ are eligible for COVID-19 booster (third) shot 3 months after their second dose. Boosters are available by appointment only. Click here for more details: https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/
- As of January 4, 2022, the enhanced vaccine certificate with official QR code will be required to access certain businesses and organizations. Vaccine receipts without a QR code will no longer be accepted as valid proof of vaccination. Download your enhanced vaccine certificate: https://ontario.ca/proofofvaccination
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: CONTACT TRACING MONITORS
Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation is looking to compile a list of interested applicants for:
Contact Tracing Monitors – $20 per hour
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s Licence
- Professional and courteous individuals
- Reliable with ability to work shift work
- Comfortable working in all weather conditions
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills
- Acceptable Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check (paid by Employer)
- Must be fully vaccinated
Please e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 INCREASES AND SEASONAL CELEBRATIONS IMPORTANCE OF PRECAUTIONS
STAY HOME IF SICK
As a community, please continue to stay vigilant in helping prevent the transmission and spread of the COVID-19 virus.
One of the most important things to remember this Holiday Season is to PLEASE STAY HOME IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS.
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- fever (a temperature of 37.8 degrees Celsius or higher) and/or chills
- cough, including a barking cough or croup (continuous, more than usual, making a whistling noise when breathing)
- shortness of breath (out of breath, unable to breathe deeply)
- decrease or loss of taste or smell
- for children under 18 years of age: nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea
- for adults over 18 years of age: muscle aches, joint pain and/or extreme tiredness
A full listing of symptoms can be found here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-stop-spread#section-0
In addition, the following precautions listed in this link https://covid-19.ontario.ca/public-health-measures will help reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 transmission this Holiday Season.
- Limit the number and size of your celebrations.
- Consider celebrating only with those within your household at this time.
- STAY HOME ESPECIALLY IF YOU:
- Have COVID-19 symptoms, even if your symptoms are mild or if you are vaccinated.
- Have been identified as a CONTACT of a COVID-19 case, or
- You have a symptomatic household member living with you, or
- You have been directed by Public Health via letter or phone call.
- DO NOT GO TO anywhere but home, including PARTIES, CARPOOL, or other social events – STAY HOME!
- Get tested at an Assessment Centre if you have symptoms.
- Get your full series of the COVID-19 vaccine. COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to help protect yourself, your loved ones and your community from the spread of COVID-19.
- Stay two metres apart from people you don’t live with.
- Wear a mask or face covering properly in indoor public spaces and outside any time physical distancing is not possible — you may be fined if you don’t.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your cough and sneeze and cough into your sleeve.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Get tested if you have symptoms compatible with COVID-19, or if you’ve been advised of exposure by public health or through the COVID Alert mobile app.
- Download the COVID Alert app.
- Follow international travel guidelines.
For information on Holiday Guidance regarding COVID-19, please visit:
- Considerations for Celebrations: https://www.ontario.ca/page/celebrate-safely-during-covid-19
- Celebrate safely during COVID-19: https://www.ontario.ca/page/celebrate-safely-during-covid-19
- COVID-19 public health measures and advice: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/public-health-measures
UPDATES FROM GREY BRUCE HEALTH UNIT EPIDEMIOLOGICA REPORTS
|Follow the 3 W’s –
|| Follow the 2 A’s –
As of December 20, 2021 at 23:59 hrs, GBHU Epidemiological Reports released the following information below:
All data provided is preliminary and subject to change. Future situation reports will be updated accordingly.
- 25 new cases reported in past 24 hours in Grey Bruce: 5 – Chatsworth, 5- Kincardine, 3- Meaford, 3- Saugeen Shores, 3 – South Bruce, 3 – South Bruce Peninsula, 1- Arran-Elderslie, 1- Grey Highlands, 1- Owen Sound
- 2854 confirmed cases (including 1 confirmed cases of the Omicron Variant)
- 192 active cases
- 1363 Active High-Risk Contacts – High Risk Contacts is reported as an estimates as the number is evolving by the hour
- 2634 resolved cases
- 4 confirmed local active cases hospitalized in Grey Bruce due to COVID-19
- 0 confirmed case from Grey Bruce is hospitalized outside of Grey Bruce due to COVID-19
- 16 deaths in Grey Bruce
- +1 death related to a Grey Bruce resident that acquired the infection and was treated outside of Grey Bruce
- +7 deaths related to Grey Bruce residents that acquired the infection in Grey Bruce however passed away outside of Grey Bruce
- Local and Provincial data may not align as cases with unconfirmed cause of death are not included above but are included in the Provincial data.
- 125 cases reported in health care workers; reports health care workers living in Grey Bruce and working both in and outside Grey Bruce
Vaccine – for detailed information please visit:
- 276,504 Total Doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in Grey and Bruce
- 14,403 Doses given within the past week
Future Vaccination Planning: https://www1.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/Portals/0/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/COVID19/Weekly_Vaccine_Schedule.pdf
- For week of December 20, first and second dose may walk-in at all clinics. Those 5-11 and Third dose requires an appointment at all clinics. See Vaccine Clinics – details at https://www1.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/Portals/0/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/COVID19/Weekly_Vaccine_Schedule.pdf (Make sure to scroll to the proper page of the schedule)
- Starting Monday, December 20, 2021, individuals aged 18 and over will be eligible to schedule their booster dose appointment through the https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/, by calling the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre, through Indigenous-led vaccination clinics, https://covid-19.ontario.ca/vaccine-locations and primary care settings. Appointments will be booked three months (84 days) after a second dose as the province urgently expands booster eligibility to millions more individuals.
- COVID-19 Vaccines: https://www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/COVID-19/Vaccines
- Getting Your COVID-19 Vaccine: https://www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/COVID-19/Vaccines/Getting-Your-COVID-19-Vaccine
- Youth and COVID-19 Vaccines: https://www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/COVID-19/Vaccines/About-COVID-19-Vaccines/Youth-and-COVID-19-Vaccines
Resources for Provincial COVID-19 Information:
- Provincial COVID-19 Data – https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data
- Provincial Testing Data: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/testing-volumes-and-results
- Provincial Hospitalization Data: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/hospitalizations
- Provincial Likely Source of Infection Data: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data/likely-source-infection
Resources for Current Situation:
- Public Health Measures: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/public-health-measures
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Grey Bruce: https://www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/COVID-19/Vaccines
- COVID-19 Vaccine for Ontario: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/covid-19-vaccines-ontario
VACCINE DATA OVERVIEW:
Click to view below charts: Vaccine_Data_Overview.pdf (publichealthgreybruce.on.ca)