Community to Remain Closed Until State of Emergency is Lifted

The Council has been considering the challenge of safely reopening the community to off-reserve members, cottagers and campers while the COVID-19 pandemic continues. Even while the province cautiously reopens outside Neyaashiinigmiing, we are taking a slow and and deliberate approach to the issue. At the June 19, 2020 Council session, the Council passed a motion keeping cottages and the Cape Croker Park closed until the State of Emergency is lifted.  Currently, the State of Emergency for Neyaashiinigmiing  is in place until at least June 30, 2020. The Council will reassess the situation at a planned meeting on June 24, 2020 and determine if we are ready to lift the State of Emergency on June 30, or if another extension is required.

Staff are working closely with the Community Emergency Response Group to finish the reopening plan. The plan will be shared with the membership when it is complete, and before steps are taken to relax access restrictions to the community. We recognize that this is a big step for the entire community to take and we feel that the residents of Neyaashiinigmiing should be the first informed when we open our doors again.

Chief Nadjiwon has prepared a video statement on the Council’s decision. Watch it on YouTube.

Posted in Post Archives and tagged .