The Chief and Council, in consultation with the Nawash Health Centre, and in consideration of Ontario’s extension of the State of Emergency until June 19, have decided to extend the emergency closure of non-essential Chippewas of Nawash programs until June 30, 2020.
Recent news has not been as dramatic as at the start of the pandemic, but the COVID-19 remains a serious risk. The virus is still spreading by community contact and there is no vaccine or specific treatment. Like all communities across Ontario, we are aligning our plans with those of the Province in order to maximize public safety and reduce the risk of an sudden outbreak. There is further work to be done to physically prepare work spaces for the return of employees and customers, and also in drafting new workplace protocols that will allow colleagues and clients to interact with a minimum risk of disease transmission. These are important steps that we must get right the first time.
We have been extremely fortunate in not having identified any positive COVID-19 cases in the community. Neyaashiinigmiing’s success is avoiding an outbreak is owing to the diligence of the entire community in respecting safety protocols. While we all want to see a safe re-opening of the community, it will take time and continued commitment to all we’ve done so far to slow the spread of the virus. We are grateful for the community’s support and patience as we navigate these difficult waters. Together, we can get safely to the other side.