CHIPPEWAS OF NAWASH UNCEDED FIRST NATION 35TH ANNUAL TRADITIONAL POWWOW
EVERYONE WELCOMED ON AND OFF RESERVE! This is a Drug & Alcohol Free Event
Stay Updated for Neyaashiinigmiing 35th Annual Traditional POWWOW Friday August 16,2019 - Sunday August 18, 2019!
LET YOUR HEART BEAT WITH THE DRUM
This year’s Nawash Annual POW WOW will take place in August on the 16th, 17th and 18th 2019 at our Cape Croker Park. We invite you to come and join the celebration.
The tradition of First Nations dance is ancient. The modern day POW WOW evolved from the Grass Dance Societies that formed during the early 1800’s where the dances were an opportunity for warriors to re-enact their brave deeds for all tribe members to witness.
The implementation of reservations throughout Turtle Island influenced these gathering as tribal customs and religions became outlawed. The Grass Dance was one of the few celebrations that was still allowed and it became an opportunity to maintain some of the earlier tribal customs that were vanishing. With persistence, these dances eventually shaped into the modern POW WOW we see today.
Many of the songs have been passed down from one generation to the next. Once again, the POW WOW Circle is alive and strong and has become a time for renewing old friendships and making new ones. Singing and dancing is a way of sharing good medicine with the people!
We invite you to join us in our celebrations.
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LAWN CHAIRS! (BYOLC)
POW WOWs Etiquette… What to Expect!
- POW WOW's are celebrations, social gatherings and friendly dance competitions. But, as with the sacred thread that runs through all of life, there are sacred traditions to be found in this coming together of people of all nations!!!
- There is a circle in most dances, representing the circle of unity, the cycle of life. Dancers often follow the clockwise pattern of the sun.
- Some of the regalia and/or ornaments signify special events or honours in a person’s life, special religious traditions or symbols rooted within their family tree.
- For a brief description of dances one might see at a POW WOW. No matter which dance or performance you see you are sure to be entertained and enlightened. Enjoy the POW WOW!
- Everyone is welcome to attend POW WOW's, regardless of Race.
- For newcomers this is a very exciting and colourful, family oriented celebration that is drug and alcohol free!
- Sorry, NO pets are not allowed into POW WOW grounds.
Absolutely NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS permitted on the POW WOW.
Taking pictures and/or videos are permitted at the discretion of the veteran/elder/drummer/dancer. Please ask for permission first.
POW WOW’s Location
Situated on the East side of the Bruce Peninsula, we are… Located at GPS:
|DMS||N 44° 53' 28.569''||W 81° 5' 25.455''|
Safe Travels and hope to see you and your family come and celebrate Life with our beautiful community “Neyaashiinigmiing Anishinaabekiing”
Reservations Please Contact:
112 Park Rd.
Sponsor By: Bruce Power and fundraised by Nawash Pow Wow Committee 2019